Sunday, November 4, 2012

Trust not Clarity

How many times have we prayed for clarity in our lives?  Clarity to know what God wants us to do.  Clarity on important life decisions.  We have probably even prayed that others have clarity in their lives - that they may know what God has in store for them.  In Allie's message today (see previous post to listen), she retells the story of a person meeting Mother Teresa and asking her to pray for clarity in his life.  Mother Teresa says, "I'm not going to do that.  God doesn't work that way."  The person, a little taken aback, replies, "Why not?  You seem to have clarity in your life."  Mother Teresa responds, "I've never had clarity.  What I have is trust.  I will pray for you that you trust God."
Wow.  That hit me like a ton of bricks.  Who are we to know what God has planned?  Isn't this what got us in trouble in the first place?  (See Adam and Eve).  But trust . . . trusting in God that his plan is best for us; that no matter what, God is holding us in his hands; that it is ok to step out of the boat; to give everything away and follow Jesus; to take up our cross daily; to live, love, and serve fully as Jesus commands us.
Clarity?  Lord I pray that I trust you in every step of my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment